If you have your own blog or website then SEO is a skill that you can’t live without! SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and basically, it is the practice of optimizing your web pages to appear well in search engines, most commonly Google. The very first day that you create your website or blog, you are the ONLY person who knows about it. Your website is on it’s own little island in the middle of the sea. Therefore, you have to figure out ways to allow people to reach your island and see what it has to offer so that maybe they will come back.
This is where search engines come along! Search engines are very complex software written by programmers that will give people a chance to visit your website depending on how unique it is. Well, who determines how unique your website is? You, of course! When some people first create their websites, they think that all they need to do is create a good website and then the traffic will magically appear! Well, that’s not always the case and I’m about to explain to you why…
1. Google is the #1 search engine which is where you will receive most of your search engine traffic from. Google has complex algorithms therefore you will need to learn how to SEO your website specifically for Google. You can’t ignore the fact that Google is the dominate search engine because if you do then you will be missing out on a heap ton of traffic!
2. If you own a blog then learning SEO is 2x as important because over time when your blog has hundreds and hundreds of articles then you will obtain a lot of traffic if you SEO optimize them now. Who wants to spend days optimizing hundreds of articles because of one stupid mistake to not learn SEO?
3. If you are going to take web developing seriously then SEO is a skill that will last you throughout your entire career! Search engines won’t be going away any time soon!
Now that you have learned why SEO is important, here are some basic SEO tips. This is definitely a far from complete tutorial on SEO but these are small tips that you can apply to help rank better in the search engines.
1. You should be building at least 5-10 backlinks to your website or articles per day. Creating backlinks will help your website rank higher in Google’s search engine results. A backlink is when another webpage links to one of your webpages. Read my article on 7 Ways To Build Backlinks.
2. You should be creating internal backlinks as well for onsite SEO! This is when you link to one of the webpages inside of your very own website! Google counts internal backlinks as backlinks, so do this more often!
3. You should use popular Web 2.0 websites to create a back link onto your website. These are websites such as YouTube, Articles Base, Twitter, Reddit, Hub Pages, or Squidoo.
4. You should try and write guest posts for other blogs in your niche! This is a great way to obtain quality back links!
5. Research the title and keywords for your webpages or blog posts. If your title or keyword has too much competition then you will have to work harder to rank well in the search engine. Meaning that you will need more back links and good content.